Jobs & Internships
Aurora Theatre Company Seeks Artistic Director
The Artistic Director will lead all activities related to the creative and production aspects of the theatre, with a focus on artistic vision, new work development, and community and donor engagement.
Specific responsibilities include:
• Provide artistic vision.
• Initiate, develop, and plan each season’s roster of plays, productions, and
• Engage culturally diverse and gender representative directors, designers, casts, playwrights, and supporting production teams.
• Lead and inspire the professional artistic and production teams in setting high artistic standards, in a practical, nurturing, and respectful manner.
• Cultivate extensive relationships with existing and emerging artists, playwrights, and designers.
• Direct one play each year at Aurora, as appropriate.
• Innovate and adapt programs to the changing circumstances of the Bay Area and contemporary society, in collaboration with the Managing Director and senior staff.
• Serve as a key public face of Aurora Theatre Company to the community, and
actively participate in community, donor, and audience engagement.
• Inspire audiences and donors with a strategic vision, excellent communication and social skills, and high ethical standards.
• Participate in activities around cultural and intercultural awareness.
• Communicate forthrightly with an active, committed, supportive, and generous
Board of Directors to help its members fulfill their roles in governance, oversight,
and community ambassadorship.
• Be a working artist with leadership experience in professional theatre, not necessarily as artistic director.
• Experience with the development and production of new plays.
• Experience directing new and classic works.
• A successful record of building and sustaining strong relationships with playwrights, directors, designers and other theatre professionals.
• A leadership style that is open, collaborative and respectful.
• The ability to balance the expectations of the theatre’s many constituents.
• The ability both to create effective teams and to act as a member of a team, coupled with a facility for acting decisively at the right time.
• The ability and commitment to support development and fundraising activities as an eloquent advocate for the theatre.
• Excellent communication skills; the ability to speak and write persuasively; mature interpersonal skills; a talent for nuance and diplomacy.
• A commitment to honesty, transparency, and personal accountability.
Salary will be competitive with other companies of comparable stature and size.
Benefits including health, dental, and vision insurance, paid vacation, holiday, personal, and sick time, pre-tax transit savings, and 401(k) eligibility. Aurora is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to the diversity of its staff and strongly encourages all qualified candidates to apply.
The committee expects to name a final candidate by early 2019 and have that person begin by June, 2019. The current and long-term Artistic Director will be stepping down at the end of July, 2019.
To apply, please email a resume accompanied by a cover letter describing why this position and this theatre are of particular interest, and at least three professional references to email@example.com by September 7, 2018.
All applications will remain in confidence. The search will remain open until a sufficiently diverse and qualified group of candidates is found.
Aurora is a non-profit 501(c)3 organization.
For Backstage Positions including; Stage Management, Production Assistant, Sound Operators, Wardrobe Assistants, and Deck Crew, please contact our Production Coordinator Cameron Swartzell at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Aurora's internships offer extraordinary opportunities for learning in a professional theater environment. We are happy to work with educational institutions to arrange for academic credit. Internships are unpaid, with no travel or housing provided.
Our Marketing intern provides crucial support to our Marketing Department, assisting in day-to-day marketing efforts, cultivating connections with new audience members, and curating digital marketing projects. Marketing interns will have the opportunity to oversee projects from inception to completion, conduct analysis and research, and represent Aurora Theatre Company through audience outreach.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Ability to take direction and work semi-autonomously.
- Experience with Internet research and MS Office required.
- Experience with social media, CRM databases, HTML, CSS and/or the Adobe design suite a plus.
Technical Direction Internship
The Technical Direction intern collaborates closely with our Technical Director, creative team and production staff, bringing our designers’ creative vision to life through set construction and solving unique design challenges. Interns will have the opportunity to assist in theatrical construction, enhance their carpentry skills, engage their creative skills and participate in the day-to-day management of the Aurora Theatre scene shop.
- Excellent communication skills.
- Familiarity with safe shop practices.
- Light construction experience a plus.
- The ability to read and follow detailed construction drawings, with assistance.
The Development intern will have the unique opportunity to support Aurora Theatre Company’s fundraising efforts, learning first-hand the needs of a non-profit, and cultivating essential donor stewardship skills. Our intern will participate in active fundraising appeals, engage with donors, and assist in preparations for our annual benefit gala, Aurora Borealis.
- Excellent communication skills.
- Experience with CRM databases and Microsoft Office a plus.
Special Events Internship
Our Special Events intern plays a vital role in the planning and execution of our annual benefit gala, Aurora Borealis. Working closely with the Development department and our Annual Fund Manager, our intern will learn essential donor stewardship skills, enhance their creative skills, and attain crucial management skills pertaining to non-profit management, special event coordinating, and fundraising.
- Excellent communication and multitasking skills a must.
- Ability to work semi-autonomously a plus.
- Familiarity with MS Office required. Graphic design skills and familiarity with Adobe Design suite a plus.
To apply for any of these internships, send resume and cover letter to email@example.com.
The job of the House Manager is to provide a pleasant and safe environment for Aurora Theatre Company patrons and volunteers in an efficient and timely manner.
The House Manager practices great customer service, providing a welcoming environment for the patrons during their time at the Aurora. The House Manager must be able to handle safety issues, and accommodate patrons with special needs. The House Manager also works with the box office to resolve any seating issues that might arise. The House Manager trains volunteer ushers to seat patrons, sell concessions, and sell raffle tickets, as well as coordinating with the Stage Manager to ensure that the show begins on time.
Candidates should have good customer service skills, leadership abilities, be calm in the face of hectic situations, and be responsible for money and inventory accuracy. Hours are evenings and weekends.
To apply, please email resume and cover letter to Audience Services Manager Robin Dolan at firstname.lastname@example.org.
We are seeking part-time Box Office Associates. Box Office Associates are expected to provide exceptional customer service to Aurora's patrons. Together with the Audience Services Manager and Assistant Box Office Manager, they run the Box Office for performances: selling tickets, processing exchanges, and providing information and assistance to patrons. This team manages all audience service concerns and creates a safe and welcoming environment for our patrons. Experience working in a box office and using ticketing software is strongly preferred. The ideal candidate will also have a passion for theatre, an ability to work independently, and a desire to work as a part of this team.
This is a permanent, part-time hourly position. Night and weekend work is required.
Aurora is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to the diversity of its staff and encourages all qualified candidates to apply. To do so, please email cover letter and resume to email@example.com.